Today many people , including children , have a wheat food allergy. As a mom , if you have a son with a wheat allergy, you know how important it is to modify their diet to change to wheat free foods so they won’t have an allergic reaction. Unfortunately , most of the treats in the store contain wheat. But never fear here are some easy and tasty wheat free recipes and tips on how you can back a whole lunchbag full of wheat free foods.
1. Wheat-Free Macaroon Cookies – this is wonderful treat for kids
- 4 egg whites (save the yolks for later use)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, beat together the egg whites and salt until you see stiff beaks form.
- Add sugar, one tsp. at a time, allowing the sugar to entirely dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients and gently fold and combine, but don’t beat them together.
- To prevent sticking, place a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Using teaspoons, drop the wheat free cookie mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the macaroons for twenty minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow them to cool before taking them off the cooking sheet. For proper finishing, place on a wire rack.
2. No Wheat Brownies
Please the pint-size choc-a-holic with these Here’s a wheat free version of the classic recipe that any kid will enjoy. It switches wheat flour for almond flour.
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter or margarine
- 3/4 c. white sugar
- 5 separated eggs
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 6 oz almond flour
- Pinch of salt
Directions: Start by creaming together the butter and sugar. Once creamed, then add the egg yolks only and combine thoroughly. You can set this bowl aside while you melt the chocolate over a double boiler – this is simply a large bowl placed over a pot of gently bowling water, while stirring thoroughly. Allow the melted chocolate mixture to cool before adding it to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir in the almonds or almond flour.
Next, beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Fold the egg whites into the mixture of sugar, egg yolks, butter, chocolate and flour. When the egg whites are well mixed in pour the batter into a greased and floured pan. Bake the brownies to cook for 45 minutes in a 350 Fahrenheit oven. Cool before you cut them up.
Discovering that your child has a wheat food allergy can can appear to be a big deal. Sometimes finding wheat free foods can seem like huge task, especially when everything from the store seems to be filled with wheat. But with a little creativity and ingredient substitution you can still create delicious wheat free recipes that kids will love.